Gas is an extremely dangerous substance, and amongst many factors to be taken into account when handling it is where and how it is stored. DENIOS stocks a range of gas bottle cages, which we have designed and manufactured using our many years of working within the hazardous substance storage industry.
Gas cylinders are among the goods that are subject to strict regulations because of their high hazard potential. The most important regulations for storage are set out in TRGS 510. Below, you can read important excerpts from TRGS 510 at a glance.
4.2 Storage locations and rooms:
As a matter of principle, hazardous substances must not be stored in places where this may lead to a hazard for employees or other persons.
Such places are in particular traffic routes. Traffic routes include stairwells, corridors, escape and rescue routes, passageways, thoroughfares and narrow courtyards.
Places unsuitable for storage include break rooms, standby rooms, sanitary rooms, first-aid rooms or daytime accommodation.
Hazardous substances may only be stored in workrooms if the storage is compatible with the protection of employees and is carried out in special facilities that correspond to the state of the art.
The regulations shall be observed when storing gases labelled H220, H221, H270, H280 or H281 according to CLP Regulation and stored in quantities above 2.5 l.
10.2 Organisational measures:
(1) Compressed gas containers shall be secured against falling over or down. The valves shall be protected with a suitable guard.
(2) Gases shall not be decanted in the storage facility, nor shall maintenance work be carried out on pressurised gas containers.
(3) Acutely toxic gases shall be kept under lock and key or stored in such a way that only competent and reliable persons have access.
(4) Gases labelled H330 or R26 may only be stored in rooms if they are equipped with a gas warning device which gives an acoustic and visual alarm if the permissible workplace limit values are exceeded.
10.3 Construction requirements and fire protection:
(1) When storing in storage rooms
the storage rooms shall be separated from adjacent rooms by at least fire-retardant components (F 30)
components shall be fire-resistant if there is a risk of fire or explosion in adjacent rooms not used for the storage of gases
the outer walls of storage rooms must be at least fire-retardant. If the safety distance to neighbouring installations and facilities from which a hazard may emanate is at least five metres, the outer wall may be made of non-combustible material.
(2) Outdoor storage facilities shall maintain a protective distance of at least five metres from neighbouring installations and facilities from which a hazard may emanate.
(3) Pressurised gas containers may only be stored in workrooms in suitable safety cabinets with a fire resistance duration of at least 30 minutes. Acutely toxic gases may only be stored in technically ventilated safety cabinets with an air exchange rate of 120 times per hour. Oxidising gases or flammable gases may only be stored in technically ventilated safety cabinets with a tenfold air exchange per hour.
(5) In rooms below ground level, a maximum of 50 filled pressurised gas containers may be stored if
in the case of technical ventilation, a twofold air exchange per hour is ensured
in the case of natural ventilation, the ventilation openings have a total cross-section of at least 10 % of the floor area of this room, provide ventilation and the floor is not more than 1.5 m below ground level, or
they are stored in safety cabinets that meet the requirements of DIN EN 14470-2.
(6) Rooms in which pressurised gas containers are stored shall be sufficiently ventilated. Natural ventilation is sufficient if there are ventilation openings leading directly into the open air with a total cross-section of at least 1/100 of the floor area of the storage room.
Gas cylinder cabinets for compact outdoor storage meet the requirements of TRGS (Technical Rules for Gases) 510. At DENIOS, you will find the right cabinets for your specific application:
If you want to store a larger number of gas cylinders, our gas cylinder storage facilities and containers may also be suitable.
Give us a call or fill out the form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Calls are handled by our UK team. All sales are processed via our German parent company so are VAT* / tariff free where applicable. *Must be fully IE VAT registered